Believe it or not, in every website development project—be it creating a fresh website or just revamping the old one—web requirements analysis is a precursor. Many developers overlook its significance. I have witnessed even the most experienced programmers using NoSQL databases at first and then struggling with finding a way something like SQL join without compromising on the overall code performance. No amount of magnificent coding can redress the balance for a bad decision.
Having a proper website requirement determines your customer’s unique requirements and preference from start. From nitty-gritty features to the more hidden and on-demand functions of a site, your customer would be taking every single requirement as an essential. When all the enumerated demands are met in a crystal clear way from the start, many of the possible errors can be eliminated later on and you get closer to the final product and customer expectations. The amount of dedication a developer bestow upon website requirements analysis generally describes its competence.
Generally, website requirements analysis comprises of three simple, yet important steps.
At the outset of website requirements analysis concerns, the developers collect valuable data regarding unique project requirements from the customer. This is where the developer should exert all his/her efforts to define the project aspects as well as the scopes involved. At this point, the developer has no idea about the client’s expectations. Whereas the customer, in contrast, may ask for impractical functionalities and features while completely neglecting important considerations for the project. There is a plethora of raw incongruent data in this stage that developers simply garner to use later in the next stages of the development process.
At this stage, all the gathered requirements are carefully considered, evaluated, outlined, and discussed to counter the conflicts, ambiguity, or partiality. Precise recording and documentation of customer requirement information are also important to have a keen check on validity. It can be actually helpful in devising a clear plan to cover those demands. These plans may comprise of database design, prototyping, creating diagrams for data flow and transition flow and so on. All of which depends on the information documented before that can be helpful in fine-tuning the process and accelerate project development.
When you have taken care of all the issues and concerns, you now have to skillfully address all those issues. This is the phase where the project’s real needs will float up and the actual essence of the project demands will come to the glare.
Therefore, every web developer before embarking on the project of web development should undergo an in-depth study on how the process will take place and what the project will demand in the development phase. If every requirement falls in a logical order and covered well then the end-result is going to be an amazing, customized solution. Many developers give their best to cover the customer needs. After all, pain-staking efforts lead to high-quality results that would later bring endless gains.
What Else Should You Consider?
The secret to come up with a robust requirements document is having a dedicated team of skilled people capable enough to plan one. You have to be sure that all the stakeholders of the project are participating in all the meetings.
These requirement gathering meetings are considerably effective in whiteboard brainstorming. Mentioned here are some of the overlooked elements to ensure an incredibly successful completion of your final project.
- Talk about the alacrity of stakeholders on bringing new ideas and things to the table. It is risk evaluation. You have to be sure whether your customer is willing to experiment new things or not, and if they are giving you a free hand to introduce innovative ideas, then set the limit of how far they can go with the try-outs.
- Don’t overlook the local search. The demands and promotion of local websites is its own niche.
- Staff Training is of the essence. Employees play a huge role in “word of mouth marketing”. Is there any possibility to include them in business marketing? If the employees have to be the storefront, train them about asking questions to get customer response that can be used afterward for social marketing.
- Make sure that the web analytics is not an extra. If your website will be depending too much on the Google Analytics, then its code will be added during the development while gearing up to be launched.
- Testing is a recurring process, don’t consider it as something left for the end. Take split A/B testing, for example, it can be conducted on the test links. Justifiably, these tests (produced as per the requirements) can be executed after the build begins.
- Conversions matter. Customers think that their website will magically drive revenue. The usability section needs to include persuasive design techniques.
- Demographics and target marketing research should be included in the formal document. It is important to have everyone on the same page when it comes to the understanding of what they are revolving around.
- You can add the reputation management tracking to the social media marketing practices. It won’t pull in till the launch but ensure it is not overlooked in the overall strategy.
- Devise a process that let the main stakeholders stay aware of the key decisions and make them sign off or discuss. Remember to keep them informed, even if they show no interest in knowing all this.
With every single project requirement documented and traceable to the key objectives, you can come up with a solid foundation your project is based upon. When every change, error, and fix is communicated in a proper and timely manner, your customer won’t be coming back claiming anything that has been left or done without their consent.
Written by Mawiya karam; is a social activist and project manage in a web design company in UAE. A keen blogger who has great interest in learning new trends, innovations, and inventions. She loves to write her views and enlighten her reader with the best project management techniques.